[paranoia] raw or .wav format question for making albums

Mikko Nummelin mnummeli at cc.hut.fi
Sun Mar 21 04:37:16 PST 2004

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, steve wrote:

> Hello.  I'm new to the list and I have a question about how to create albums.
>
> I am trying to pick a few songs from several audio cds in my collection so
> that I have a few cds of my favorite songs.
>
> I want them playable on any cd player in my or my friends cars and/or home
> stereo cd players.  Will the .wav format work for this?  I want to have gaps
> between tracks for skipping from song to song and I don't really want to play
> them on my computer.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/

and from there, 'CD-Writing-HOWTO'. Simple instructions for "track at
once"-method:

(put first CD to be ripped into CDROM)

$ cdparanoia -v -B -d /dev/sr0 4-5

$ mv track04.wav 01_funny_little_song.wav

$ mv track05.wav 02_another_interesting_song.wav

(switch another CD into CDROM)

$ cdparanoia -v -B -d /dev/sr0 3-3

$ mv track03.wav 03_a_lovesong.wav

(take the CD out from CDROM)

Now what we want, is to burn an 'album' with three songs in the order they
are numbered here, ie, 01_funny_little_song.wav first and
03_a_lovesong.wav last. First switch to root:

$ su
password

and then

# cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.29
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W4824A' '1.04' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

Here we see that (in my system) it shows a Plextor drive with device
number 0,0,0. That means that after we put a blank CD into CD-writer the
recording command will finally be something like:

# cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=16 driveropts=burnfree -pad -audio 0?_*.wav

After this we should have our new 'album' created. It is advisable to name
the WAV's immediately after ripping in such a way that first comes a
two-digit decimal number showing the ordering number of that particular
track and then the name of the song.