[Paranoia] First-track ripping oddity

CJ Kucera xiph
Tue Jun 29 09:29:04 PDT 2004

<1088520903.4167.7.camel at localhost.localdomain>
<20040629150101.GA32382 at unisrv.net>

CJ Kucera wrote:
> Peter Jones wrote:
> > I don't suppose you can pull the drive out and see if there's any real
> > manufacturer information on it?
>
> Sure, I'll pull it out later today and have a look.

Okay, well the drive looks to be actually manufactured by Compaq, or
at least there's no mention of any other corporation on the drive itself.
Has a Compaq Part No, Compaq Spare Part No, etc.  The model no on the
label itself is "CRD-8322B(CP1)"  I did notice that it has labelled
"F/W: 1.06" which looks like a firmware version to me, so I'll look
around and see if there's a firmware update which may end up helping
out.

> > This vaguely sounds like the sort of thing --toc-bias was invented for,
> > but I'm not completely sure just yet.

I tried out this option, btw, to no avail.  Didn't seem to affect anything.

> > It's interesting that cdda2wav doesn't give the error.  Is the pop
> > overlapping real data, or is it simply before it?
>
> It happens over actual data.  I could whip up some short wav samples
> if you'd like...

Without waiting for a reply, I just went ahead and did that, if you
wanted to take a brief listen.

No apparent data corruption:
cdda2wav -S 16 -t 1
http://apocalyptech.com/paranoia/cdda2wav-S16.wav.gz

cdparanoia run without paranoia options has a noticeable "pop":

cdparanoia -S 16 -Z 1
http://apocalyptech.com/paranoia/cdparanoia-S16-Z.wav.gz

cdparanoia with any other option has a strange poppy distortion:

cdparanoia -S 16 1
http://apocalyptech.com/paranoia/cdparanoia-S16.wav.gz
cdparanoia -S 16 -Y 1
http://apocalyptech.com/paranoia/cdparanoia-S16-Y.wav.gz
cdparanoia -S 16 -T 1
http://apocalyptech.com/paranoia/cdparanoia-S16-T.wav.gz
cdparanoia -S 16 -z 1
http://apocalyptech.com/paranoia/cdparanoia-S16-z.wav.gz

(avg. file size 150K)

So there you have it...

--
WOW: Kakistocracy        |  "The ships hung in the sky in much the same
apocalyptech.com/wow     |    way that bricks don't." - Douglas Adams,