[paranoia] New mobo == slower cdparanoia

system at localhost.localdomain system at localhost.localdomain
Wed Feb 4 11:37:09 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:35:58PM -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > > All CDs rip with lots of -/+, but now I'm even seeing ! and e.  I think
> > > I may try making the drives slaves on the VIA channels and seeing if
> > > things improve any.
> >
> > Here's one for the archives, hope someone else can find it when they
> > need it...
> >
> > The promise interfaces are just awful for CD ripping.  I moved my CD-ROM
> > onto a motherboard channel as a slave and got fast, solid ripping.  The
> > chipset is a VIA KT400, the promise card in question is an Ultra33.  The
> > CD-ROM doesn't even support UDMA33.
> >
> > It sucks I can't have an extra channel just for ripping - it does hurt
> > disk performance this way.  But proper rips are totally worth it.
>
> Actually, I seem to remember that there is a problem with Promise
> controllers and VIA chipsets. I can't remember the details, and it may be
> something else, but a check for the archives of this list and the
> linux-kernel list might be instructive.

All VIA southbridges have a poor implementation of the PCI bus. The PCI
controller only allows any given device to have control of the bus for a
very short amount of time. This problem was made infamous because the
SoundBlaster Live! cards had a latency issue that confllicted with the VIA
PCI implementation. Anyway, I never progressed to playing with the BIOS
registers that control the PCI bus timing settings, but there was a man
who wrote patches for windows to adjust these settings. Actually changing
the timings should be easy under Linux, but knowing what to set them to
may be a trick. In any case, if you lengthen the time a PCI device can
have control of the bus, the Promise controller should work much better
for streaming. For more info on this, check out
http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/1.html

TJ Harrell