[paranoia] cdparanoia when using scsi emulation

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Thu Sep 4 17:02:38 PDT 2003

Frans Englich (frans.englich at telia.com) wrote:

> cdparanoia, as far as I can tell, can't open devices that is running with scsi
> emulation(kernel parameter 'hdc=ide-scsi' eg.). Those who only have a
> cd-burner thus can't rip cd's with cdparanoia. This would be a nice feature to
> have. Though, there's alot going on in this area in the upcoming 2.6 kernel
> perhaps it's not worth implementing.. Or is it already possible somehow?

I have no idea where you got this idea.  I'm using cdparanoia on a
Plexwriter CD-RW drive under Linux 2.4.21 in SCSI emulation mode.

You need to make sure you have read AND WRITE permission on /dev/sg0.
(And of course /dev/sg0 must exist and function, which means you
need to have loaded the "sg" module, SCSI generic support, or have
it compiled into your kernel.)

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |