[paranoia] poor quality & glitches

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at skynet.be
Thu Oct 30 15:03:03 PST 2003

> Basic rule is that if the CD is playable then it is rippable by most new
> machinery.

It really depends on the firmware. Copy protections that are not compliant
with the Redbook (most are not) rely on the way most CD drives firmwares are
implemented. Some old CD drives are able to extract digital audio from
protected discs, and some recent drives (including my plextor CD-RW drive)
are not. Just try your luck with different hardware if yours fails.

> Playability also implies analog copies by different methods, so
> that does not matter what comes to gnutella. Take a look at FastTrack
> (KaZaA) network, it is a lot larger than gnutella network.

Have a look at giFT (gift.sf.net). It is basically a daemon that let you
connect to different file sharing networks. Best of all, it come with OpenFT,
which is a free (like in free software) file sharing network, FastTrack and
Gnutella plugins.

Laurent Pinchart