[paranoia] poor quality & glitches

Mikko Nummelin mnummeli at cc.hut.fi
Thu Oct 30 14:39:33 PST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:

> Mikko,
> are you basically saying that this Cactus Data Shield really works?
>
> I haven't seen the songs on this CD up on gnutella, which I just
> checked, so perhaps this is the case.
>
> Thanks for the warnings. The CD drive is old and slow, but I still don't
> want to burn out its circuits :O

This is certainly not the case. In some CD-RW:s it is really up to
(bad) firmware, but for example I have 5 different CD-ROM:s, of which one
is CD-RW, one is DVD, one is CD-RW combo and two are "ordinary" CD-ROM:s.
Of these, both DVD and combo which are from LG are capable to surpass
Cactus Data Shield without any problems, the Plextor CDRW is capable to do
it in Windows with PlexTools and in Linux with cdparanoia (but that
requires tweaking with different types of toc reading and read commands).
The other two CD-ROM:s are old and crap. They _cannot_ rip CDS-protected
media!

Basic rule is that if the CD is playable then it is rippable by most new
machinery. Playability also implies analog copies by different methods, so
that does not matter what comes to gnutella. Take a look at FastTrack
(KaZaA) network, it is a lot larger than gnutella network.