[paranoia] poor quality & glitches - all tracks on CD show unreported loss of streaming

Mikko Nummelin mnummeli at cc.hut.fi
Sat Oct 25 02:17:03 PDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

>> Hi David, all,

>> my cd drive is a Sony CDU 4811, plain old IDE. Can I set this up with
>> SCSI emulation? It seems from my config that I've got module SCSI
>> emulation compiled into my kernel already. Would I then have to
>> configure the drive in fstab or something?

>> I do have SCSI but that's on an old server machine with windows NT on it.

> For SCSI emulation to work properly, you need three components:

> 1) SCSI emulation support in the Linux kernel
> 2) SCSI CD support in the Linux kernel
> 3) hdx=ide-scsi in the kernel paramaters

> You have the SCSI emulation compiled in your kernel already so you probably
> have SCSI CD support too. To modify the kernel parameters, you can add

> append="hdx=ide-scsi"		(replace hdx by your IDE CD device, hda, hdb, hdc or
> hdd)

> in /etc/lilo.conf if you use lilo as your boot loader (man lilo.conf for more
> information). Don't forget to run lilo after.

One thing of practical importance to remember is, that when SCSI emulation
is ON, then the drive /dev/hdx does not work, but the device should then
be referenced by /dev/sg0 or /dev/sr0, especially when ripping with
CDParanoia, i.e.

# cdparanoia -v -B -d /dev/sr0 1-13

Then it is also possible to use the patch I already mentioned and run
CDParanoia with it, i.e.

# cdparanoia -v -B -P -d /dev/sr0 1-13

, which is known to help with some of the problems described with
copy-protected CD's.