[paranoia] please help with TOC

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Fri May 16 15:39:30 PDT 2003

Sam Smith (throwit1 at hotmail.com) wrote:

> I'm about to rip my entire CD collection. Recordable CDs are cheap enough
> that I can afford to FLAC a large portion of my collection and OGG the rest.

> I was wondering if someone could show me how to do this or point to some
> more places to look.

On what platform?

> How can I get the TOC in raw form onto my hard drive and then use the
> various cddb tools to pretend that's the TOC from the cd?
>
> To get the TOC in raw form I assume that  the dd command can do that but I
> have NO IDEA how to write that command.

Unix, then.  Good.  If it's Debian, you do this:

apt-get install abcde
abcde

Then you answer the questions, and in a few minutes (or hours) you
have a directory full of Ogg files (-q 3).  If you want to change
the settings, you just edit ~/.abcde.conf first.

If it's not Debian, then you might find it somewhat challenging to
install the abcde script.  Even though it's "just" a shell script,
it has a pretty fearsome set of external program dependencies.  Another
ripper front-end you might want to try is grip, which is graphical
(GTK+).  It's easier to change the settings because of the GUI.  On
the other hand, you *need* to change the settings because the defaults
weren't very Vorbis-friendly last time I checked. ;-)

Both of these front-ends scan the CD's TOC and do a CDDB lookup to
get the metadata automatically.  Both of them use cdparanoia (or
the library version thereof) to do the actual ripping.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |