[paranoia] please help with TOC

Sam Smith throwit1 at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 12:20:19 PDT 2003

I'm about to rip my entire CD collection. Recordable CDs are cheap enough
that I can afford to FLAC a large portion of my collection and OGG the rest.

I was wondering if someone could show me how to do this or point to some
more places to look.

How can I get the TOC in raw form onto my hard drive and then use the
various cddb tools to pretend that's the TOC from the cd?

To get the TOC in raw form I assume that  the dd command can do that but I
have NO IDEA how to write that command.
Is it just trial and error to find out how many tracks of a particular cd
are devoted to the TOC?
Is there an option to cdparanoia that I don't see that will tell me how many
sectors the TOC is?

into using the TOC-on-a-file instead of TOC-on-cd.  Any ideas?  Any way
perhaps to use the loopback device to fool things into thinking that file is
a cd?  I can't see how to do that AT ALL at the moment,

Suggestions for things to try are welcome.

I am renaming all the files as I rip them and saving a text-format catalog
of the cddb output as I get it from the CD but I'd like to have that TOC in
case i want to add more info later without resorting to the CDs again.