[paranoia] ATAPI CD missing interrupts

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 06:55:03 PDT 2003

yOn Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Sibbald, Alister wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I don't know about the specifics, but I suspect the issue here may be in the
> inappropiateness of the Linux Kernel Scheduler ( or that of any other
> "general Purpose OS" for that matter to the needs of real time system
> requirements ( which is what you have when you're ripping ). I'm just
> guessing, but I suspect the reason that you get less "lost interrupts" with
> your old CD than your new is that it's that much slower, and the Kernel
> scheduling can "Keep Up" with the interrupt requests.

Last I checked, the scheduler isn't really involved with interrupt
requests.

Really, it's more likely to be a hardware problem, as the thread on this
last week mentioned in wonderful poetic form, or a problem with the ide
driver in use.

The "preemptive scheduling makes it so hard to do realtime tasks" argument
for CDs was really great with 486 hardware, but really, we're talking
about ~8MB/s here.

--
        Peter

"All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant