[paranoia] ATAPI CD missing interrupts

Sibbald, Alister Alister.Sibbald at LloydsTSB.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 04:49:19 PDT 2003

Steve,

I don't know about the specifics, but I suspect the issue here may be in the
inappropiateness of the Linux Kernel Scheduler ( or that of any other
"general Purpose OS" for that matter to the needs of real time system
requirements ( which is what you have when you're ripping ). I'm just
guessing, but I suspect the reason that you get less "lost interrupts" with
your old CD than your new is that it's that much slower, and the Kernel
scheduling can "Keep Up" with the interrupt requests.

You could try ripping at slower speeds. If I am right, you will find that
below a certain CD spin speed, you have no lost interrupts, because the
kernel scheduler is not getting overrun by the interrupt requests.

        Regards
                Alister

From: Steve Smith [mailto:ssmith at htsi-texas.com]
Sent: 11 June 2003 22:35
To: paranoia at xiph.org
Subject: [paranoia] ATAPI CD missing interrupts

dmesg. I am using RH9 2.4.20-18. I have less missing interrupts using an
older (1999) AOPEN cdrom. I have more missing interrupts and kernel
crash using MEMOREX 52X or LG 52X CDROM.  Using ide-scsi emulation
appears to make it much worse.
Is anyone else experinceing this?

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee.  It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it.  If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

evolvebank.com is a division of Lloyds TSB Bank plc.
Lloyds TSB Bank plc, 25 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7HN.  Registered in
England, number 2065.  Telephone No: 020 7626 1500
Lloyds TSB Scotland plc, Henry Duncan House, 120 George Street,
Edinburgh EH2 4LH.  Registered in Scotland, number 95237.  Telephone
No: 0131 225 4555

Lloyds TSB Bank plc and Lloyds TSB Scotland plc are regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and represent only the Scottish Widows
and Lloyds TSB Marketing Group for life assurance, pensions and
investment business.

Signatories to the Banking Codes.