[paranoia] lost interupt

Ian Pilcher pilchman at attbi.com
Thu Jun 5 11:20:21 PDT 2003

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> What has this to do with the question asked? He didn't mention VIA, and I
> have had no particular problems with VIA, SiS or Intel chipsets, all of
> which work on decent motherboards. And an incompetent vendor can mess up
> any chipset.

This can happen with some VIA chipsets, but I don't think that anyone's
ever figured out if the problem lies in the Northbridge (PCI timings or
somesuch) or the Southbridge (IDE controller).

It also seems to be dependent on the exact configuration of IDE devices.
For example, I would get these errors when trying to rip audio tracks
from hda or hdc in the following configuration:

     VIA VT82C686B:      ide0:   hda:    Creative 52X CD-ROM
                                 hdb:    (none)

                         ide1:   hdc:    CyberDrv CD-R/RW
                                 hdd:    (none)

     Promise PDC20269:   ide2:   hde:    Maxtor 30GB HDD
                                 hdf:    (none)

                         ide3:   hdg:    Western Digital 120GB HDD
                                 hdh:    (none)

     Promise PDC20269:   ide4:   hdi:    Maxtor 120GB HDD
                                 hdj:    (none)

                         ide5:   hdk:    Maxtor 120GB HDD
                                 hdl:    (none)

With the following configuration, however, I can rip from hdc or hdd
with no problem:

     VIA VT82C686B:      ide0:   hda:    Maxtor 30GB HDD
                                 hdb:    (none)

                         ide1:   hdc:    CyberDrv CD-R/RW
                                 hdd:    Creative 52X CD-ROM

     Promise PDC20269:   ide2:   hde:    Western Digital 180GB HDD
                                 hdf:    (none)

                         ide3:   hdg:    Western Digital 120GB HDD
                                 hdh:    (none)

     Promise PDC20269:   ide4:   hdi:    Maxtor 120GB HDD
                                 hdj:    (none)

                         ide5:   hdk:    Maxtor 120GB HDD
                                 hdl:    (none)

<sarcasm>
Of course, I'm using Red Hat, which packages cdparanoia as an RPM, so
I'm sure that's the cause of all this.
</sarcasm>