[paranoia] SCSI CD Problems - a workaround solution

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Wed Feb 12 17:12:12 PST 2003

I worked around the problem.  It turns out that the drive isn't a SCSI CD,
but an IDE CD mapped to a SCSI drive by the kernel with ide-scsi.o.

/dev/cdrom was a symlink to /dev/cdrom0 which was a symlink to /dev/scd0.
This is set up by the discover program, which I apparently loaded or updated
on my system within the past few months.  discover decides to use the
ide-scsi module and set the drive up as a SCSI drive on the basis of the
module being available.  Apparently cdparanoia doesn't deal gracefully with
a virtual SCSI CD set up by the kernel.  Don't know if this is a kernel
problem or a cdparanoia problem.  I don't need the ide-scsi module and it
was not previously loaded.

The problem can be band-aided by excluding ide-scsi from management by
discover by including the following line in /etc/discover.conf

kip ide-scsi

discover will set up the first link noted above, but dev/cdrom0 will be a
symlink to /dev/hdx (x is the CD drive IDE sequence number) instead of
/dev/scdx and ide-scsi won't be loaded by default.

The ide-scsi module (or compiled kernel facility) is needed for cdrecord, I
understand, so this might present an issue for some people, requiring
dynamic loading and unloading of the module.  As noted in my original post,
other programs deal well enough with the CD drive as a virtual SCSI device,
but cdparanoia doesn't, so this is apparently someone's bug, either the
kernel developers or the cdparanoia developers.