[paranoia] CDparanoia SCSI errors: kernel or application

Jack Pistachio jackpistachio at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 08:24:43 PST 2003

Hmm.  Yes, I'm familiar with these problems.  cdda2wav gave
me the same errors as CDParanoia.  So if it is a problem
with the application, cdda2wav has the same problem, which
makes me leans towards it being a kernel thing.  Also the
fact that some drives would work while others wouldn't and
the problem also seemed to be controller specific.  On the
via vt8223 chipset my generic 40x CDROM worked... the
HPWriter didn't.  On the Promise controller anything works.
If I'm correct, in a layered architecture, the kernel
should be able to present any of these setups with the same
interface to CDParanoia and cdda2wav, so if the kernel
handled it well, the apps should see no difference.

- jackp

> Here is something to ponder: how do we know the SCSI
> errors with
> CDParanoia are kernel related and not in the application
> ?
>
> Has anyone had CDParanoia work with one kernel version
> and not another ?
>
> I assume that CDParanoia WAS stable and working well with
> no kernel
> version specific work arounds in it.  Does anyone know
> this for certain
> ?
>

> --
> Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com>
> subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be
ignored/filtered.

Do you Yahoo!?
http://shopping.yahoo.com