[paranoia] CD Paranoia for MacOS X

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 12:28:32 PST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, J. Scott Edwards wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Peter Jones wrote:
>
> > AFAIK (and I could be wrong) current cdparanoia also
> > works on e.g. FreeBSD.  I don't know how much cdparanoia in ports is
> > patched, but I find it likely that, for example, FixupTOC here:
> >

> Last time I checked I don't think cdparanoia ran on FreeBSD, I know it
> didn't run on one of the *BSD's.  And since I've run it on OpenBSD it must
> have been either Net or Free that it didn't work on.  I remember reading
> some comments (complaints) that the reason it wasn't ported to xxxBSD was
> because it was so Linux oriented.  Of course that was some months ago so
> perhaps the situation has been fixed since then.

Well, I'm certainly not going to claim any expertise about the state of
cdparanoia on any BSD -- I've not run one in 4+ years.  But the point
remains -- changing code to say "#ifdef __linux__" because it doesn't work
on MacOS X stands a good chance of breaking more than it fixes.

Scott's right, much of the things he touched probably *should* reside in
platform specific code; at the moment, though, they don't.

--
        Peter

Hardware simply does not work like the manual says and no amount
of Zen contemplation will ever make you at one with a 3c905B ethernet card.
		-- Alan