[paranoia] ANNOUNCE: CD Extract

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Tue Mar 26 19:07:15 PST 2002

I hope this is not too off topic.  If you fell it is appropriate I would
appreciate it if someone would post it to the announcement mailing list.
If not, no problem.

CD Extract is a Perl script which helps to automate the process of
intelligently extracting audio from a CD and then converting the tracks
into either MP3 or Ogg Vorbis format. It is *not* designed to make the
process a no-brainier, it is expected that the user is familiar with the
unix command prompt. CD Extract has the rare featuring of being able to
avoid recording the gap between songs with the track itself. Often this
gap just contains silence, however sometimes it contains actual audio such
as interludes. CD Extract will either extract the gap between songs and
store it in a separate file or simply ignore it. Cddb lookups on the disk
are also supported.

It requires: Perl, cdda2wav, cdparanoia, and lame or oggenc

I wrote this program mostly because I wanted a way to separate the
annoying interludes from the normal tracks from a CD I had.  The first
time I did it I spend about a half hour with a audio editor splitting
the resulting wav before encoding them.  I latter noticed that on my
car's CD player the interludes were playing with negative time which
told me that the start of the interludes were some how encoded on the
CD.  I then investigated how this was done and came up with this
program.  As far as I know this is the only program which will
automatically separate the interludes for you.

I decided that others may find this program useful so I spent the time
writing documentation and making the script suitable for release.  So,
if you also find this program useful please let me know at kevin at
atkinson dhs org.  Thanks.

You can find it at http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org/cdextract/.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org