[paranoia] scsi errors gone -- 3 days and counting to rip a song

Torben Andersen the.beauty at get2net.dk
Mon Jun 17 07:51:11 PDT 2002

T. wrote:

>>Try the -Z option (se my answer to Rob Blomquist).
>>

>Torben,
>
>The -Z option defintely solved the extremely long rip times. However,
>look at this:
>
>**No -Z switch on troublesome song**
>
>  (== PROGRESS == [---eV>                        | 249154 00 ] == :-0 .
>==)
>
>**Using -Z on troublesome song**
>
>  (== PROGRESS == [   eeeeee                    | 249154 00 ] == :^D *
>==)
>
>I encode the song in example two, at the place in the song where the e's
>are, the song is extremely jittery.  Imagine this:
>
>The song plays perfect up until where the e's are. And also after that
>period in the song. However, during that part the song will play for 1
>second, no sound for 1 second, play for 1 second .... and on and on
>until it reaches the end of that part of the song. Then the song sounds
>perfect again till it reaches the end.
>
>Its to be noted that a normal song rip for me looks like:
>
>(== PROGRESS == [-------------------------------------| 249154 00 ] ==
>:^D * ==)
>
>but the song rip with the -Z switch had no dashes.
>
>Any further advice you can offer?
>
>regards,
>T.

No further advice. I belive, that the cd is corrupt, and the cdplayer
can't guess correct. The computer has the same problem, but you can try
the -z option to set the number of retries to zero, so the computer only
tries to read once and then makes a more or less correct guess. If you
can make that work, please let me know !! I can't make it work myself !!!!

Regards Torben