[paranoia] scsi errors gone -- 3 days and counting to rip a song

Dale E Martin dmartin at cliftonlabs.com
Fri Jun 14 07:07:42 PDT 2002

> >From the reaction I'm getting here is that there is no magic cure and it
> is not a known problem.

It's known that lots of different drives do weird things.  I've got a Ricoh
CD Burner that will rip a clean disk without errors, jitter, etc.  But some
disks it won't even recognize as audio disks until you put them in 10 or 15
times.  And then it will rip them just fine.

I've had the best luck with a TDK Velocd burner, which I think is a
rebadged Plextor.  I haven't used it as much as some other drives, but I
haven't had problems with it when I've used it, either.

The fact that you're seeing repeatable problems across multiple hardware
platforms makes it seem like it's the actual disks that are causing the
problems.  Of course, then you have to wonder why the Windows rippers are
handling them OK...  Very strange.

Later,
        Dale

--