[paranoia] scsi_read error - guidance required.

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 11 02:26:13 PDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, T. wrote:

> This answer doesnt leave me with much hope :(

You give up easily.

> The writer in my box is running flawlessly for cd writing, dont really
> want to mess with it.

Booting the system w/o ide-scsi is not "messing with it" and can't
possibly hurt anything. All you need is to leave "hdc=ide-scsi" or similar
out of a duplicate stanza in /etc/lilo.conf. Copy your normal boot stanza,
change the label, and drop the "append" for ide-scsi (or part of the
append if you have more options).

> Might have to get another cdrom for the box if noone else has a
> solution.

If you compile ide-cd support as a module you can leave the boot as-is and
rmmod the ide-scsi, load the ide-cd with modprobe, and do the rip.
However, you may find that another CD is desirable for other reasons, or
that ripping works better with IDE. I have noted that cdda2wav and sdd
also work better with direct ATAPI.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc