[paranoia] scsi_read error - guidance required.

Chris McCraw fool at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 5 12:49:11 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 07:19:11AM +1200, T. wrote:
> This answer doesnt leave me with much hope :(
>
> The writer in my box is running flawlessly for cd writing, dont really
> want to mess with it.

well, you can use modules to do the ide-scsi thing for burning and
atapi for ripping...i'd suggest that you could even make it transparent
by making scripts that rip/burn that do the appropriate rmmod/insmod
before firing up the respective binaries.

omething to help here is the bootprompt howto which can give you the
magic appendage for your kernel boot line that will cause the drive to
not be probed at all by the kernel, allowing you to control which
driver is in use with the modules.

> Might have to get another cdrom for the box if noone else has a
> solution.

much cheaper to do a little research/recompiling.  i used to use a drive
that way for some reason and it worked great on both ends.