[paranoia] major hurdle - total lockup

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Wed Jan 23 10:11:38 PST 2002

Well, after a couple of days of sleuthing, I think I finally was able to
track down a solution for my lockups.

Short answer: I installed an hdparm for my hda as well as my hdc like
this:
hdparm -d1 -X34 /dev/hda
hdparm -d0 -X34 /dev/hdc

Longer answer: When I would poke into my BIOS and shut off any udma for
all ATA devices, I was able to extend the time before a freeze to
several songs or sometimes even a whole CD.  But it would eventually
freeze also.  So I figured I was on the right track.  And I've got a VIA
chipset to possibly complicate matters.  They can be the source for
incompatibilities.  Anyway, after playing with hdparm settings for hdc
and BIOS settings 'til I was ready to scream, it occured to me that
maybe my hda was the source of some of my problems which eventually led
to the hdparm entries above.

Maybe this'll help someone else too.