[paranoia] major hurdle - total lockup

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Sat Jan 19 06:50:23 PST 2002

I'm new to cdparanoia and I'm afraid I'm not getting very far.

I'll start a command like this:
cdparanoia -B "1-"

One or two tracks will rip fine and then part way into a track and BAM!
My whole computer will lock up tight with a stuck cursor, no keyboard,
no error messages, and a hdd activity light stuck on.  Just completely
frozen requiring a hard reset.  The upside to this is I've learned all
about fsck.  :)

Cdparanoia compiled fine as near as I could tell.

The output of cdparanoia -vsQ is this:

cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                CDROM sensed: ATAPI compatible CD-ROM 50X

Verifying drive can read CDDA...
        Expected command set reads OK.

Table of contents (audio tracks only):
track        length               begin        copy pre ch
  1.    14417 [03:12.17]        0 [00:00.00]    no   no  2
(middle deleted for brevity)
 10.    15753 [03:30.03]   136197 [30:15.72]    no   no  2
TOTAL  151950 [33:46.00]    (audio only)

master on channel 2.  Running Redhat 7.1 that should be totally up to
date with Ximian's Red Carpet.

Can someone please tell me what I should do next?  Thanks!