[paranoia] SCSI problems

David J. Topper topper at virginia.edu
Thu Jan 17 12:12:47 PST 2002

Hello,

I'm using your package which came with Slackware 8.  It's the most
recent (v III 9.8).  I've gotten it to work in the past, but seem to be
running into trouble just now.

1.  Here's my /proc/scsi/scsi

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: VIKING II 4.5WLS Rev: 3506
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: VIKING II 4.5WLS Rev: 3506
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-R55S          Rev: 1.0J
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

2.  When I try "cdparanoia -v -d /dev/sg6 1-1[:10]" I get:

Checking /dev/sg6 for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/sg6 for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/sg6 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/sg6 for SCSI interface
                Could not access device /dev/sg6: No such device or
address
                generic device: /dev/sg6
                ioctl device: not found
                Could not open generic SCSI device /dev/sg6: No such
device or address

3.  When I try "cdparanoia -v -d /dev/sg0 1-1[:10]" I get:

Checking /dev/sg0 for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/sg0 for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/sg0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/sg0 for SCSI interface
                No cdrom device found to match generic device
/dev/sg0                generic device: /dev/sg0
                ioctl device: not found

Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
        SG interface version 2.1.39; OK.
                Drive is neither a CDROM nor a WORM device

4.  Both sg0 and sg6 are chmod 666.  Same for /dev/cdrom (it's a burner)
and /dev/scd0.  Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

DT

--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~djt7p