[paranoia] IDE drive hangups

Casey Allen Shobe cshobe at softhome.net
Wed Jan 2 19:47:48 PST 2002

This has been happening pretty frequently:  I'll be ripping a CD using
cdparanoia -BzX 1- and it will hang in the middle of processing a track.  The
big problem here is that the drive keeps thinking it's doing something, keeps
the CD spinning, and gets really hot if I don't monitor it.  Last night I set
something to burn and woke up this morning to a cd that wouldn't even play
until I ejected it and let it cool down for a while.

Heat isn't an issue with the machine, and the cd-rom is pretty new (Panasonic
DVD) and hasn't given me any other problems.

hdb: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
hdd: ATAPI 8X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, DMA

On the command-line, cdparanoia most of the time appears frozen, though
sometimes the little .oO0Oo. thing keeps going and nothing else.

--
Casey Allen Shobe
cshobe at softhome.net