[paranoia] ! in the bargraph...

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Feb 4 16:00:10 PST 2002

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 09:29:16AM +0100, Greg Olak wrote:
> (english is not my natural language, sorry...)
>
> Hi, i'm new in linux and i'm trying to migrate from win to linux.
> Now the only thing that makes me keep windows is Ripping audio CD's  :o(
> Under windows i use EAC.
>
> My problem : with cdparanoia I often have '!' in the bargraph and when
> I compare (with EAC function) two extracted files I found differences
> between them at the '!' place , which is a problem because I need secure
> copies...
>
> Even if the differences seems not to be audible, I have each time to check
> with
> a sound editor... With EAC under win98 no problem at all.
> Is there any way to fix this problem ?
>
> The '!' mostly happens during silences but not only. And there can be '!'
> in a given
> track and no if I extract him again !
>
> I'm using a standard IDE cdrom drive, RedHat 7.1.
> I have the last cdaparnoia version.

'!' happens occasionally at silence bondaries if the drive is
producing jitter, but the jitter wasn't noticed until there was actual
audio content to judge against.  There is no difference in the audio
that exists, only in the number of trailing/leading zeroes.  Because
the drive is jittering, it's impossible to tell what the proper number
is.

Monty