[paranoia] ripping is slow(0.1x) than fast(2.x) on each track

Poletti, Don Don.Poletti at comverse.com
Mon Feb 4 13:44:15 PST 2002

My ripping speed seems to have two gears. Very slow and
reasonably fast. It seems after boot I rip one or two tracks
at full speed (~2.5x) but then it slows down to less than 0.1x
speed. General once this condition hits every track I rip
is this slow for about half (maybe 3/4) of the track then
it speeds back up for the rest of the track.

While this slow rip is occurring the system is very responsive
I have plenty of CPU idle time (~65%) the destination HD of the
rip can do copies ls etc very quickly.

I thought it might be a HD problem because while the slow rip is going
on the light on the CD flashes once every 4 or 5 seconds and the
HD light is on non-stop. However since the HD is still very responsive
I'm not entirely sure.  Peeking with strace shows that cdparanoria
is calling ioctl about once a second and mmap every 5 or 6 seconds.
(I think the mmap coincides with the cd light flashing. the frequency is
about right)

Also in windows I rip at about 4.0x with no problems (I duel boot)
using freeRip. So I don't think its a hardware issue.

Things I have tried so far with no change in symptoms
various Filesysytems: ext2, ext3, ReiserFS
upgraded kernel: was 2.4.8 upgraded to 2.4.17
upgraded cdparanoia: From whatever comes on Mandrake 8.1 to latest on
rpmfind.net.

                                                 TIA  Don

System Info
Duron 800