[paranoia] odd cdrom behavior after using cdparanoia

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Mon Dec 30 16:32:45 PST 2002

PC^God (paranoia at pcgod.info) wrote:

> for a while, then it'll give me some SCSI timeouts and the drive is
> useless until I unload the ide-scsi module and reload it. Sometimes this
> doesn't even work and I've had to reboot.

> Kernel: 2.4.19-gentoo-r10

This sounds like a kernel bug to me (a hardware failure would probably
not be fixed by reloading the driver).  2.4.19 and .20 are known to have
some issues with IDE.  I wonder if "downgrading" to 2.4.18 would be
helpful.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |