[paranoia] Drive recommendation, and error correction

Fredrik Mellstrom traal at altavista.net
Sun Sep 30 05:31:43 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 01:30:22PM -0400, Monty wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a drive that will rip quickly and
> > reliably?
>
> Plextor is unsurpassed on undamaged disks.  A few recent
> firmware revisions have had more trouble (than I expect from
> Plextor) with damaged media.  Plextor also supports ECC
> reporting, so that near-perfect reconstruction of audio discs
> protected with systems like Cactus will be easy.

For the benefit of those who haven't lurked on this list forever,
I reported long ago (Feb 2000) that my upgrading a Plextor 8/2/20
SCSI drive to firmware 1.03 made ripping with Paranoia a whole lot
slower.  (More specifically, 1.5x instead of 3x-3.5x, which really
sucks.  Of course it maxes out at around 20x without paranoia, but
I can't trust the result.)  Monty also added that quality had
taken a big hit on one of his Plextor drives -- the changelogs
seem to suggest that they added the same "feature" to all their
drives.  I speculated that it might be some form of internal
read-ahead buffering, which would probably clash with Paranoia's
need to re-read the same sector.  My theory may be completely
bogus, but at any rate, life sucked a little more from then on ;-).

/ Fredrik Mellström  traal at altavista.net  +46(0)31-183764 \
\ Göteborg, Sweden   http://traal.cjb.net/  ICQ#: 5298311 /