[paranoia] Does the "Plextor 16/10/40" supports DMA?

George Jeliazkov cuwest at mail.vega.bg
Mon Oct 1 02:11:03 PDT 2001

Hi,

I've recently bought a Plextor 161040TA IDE CD-RW drive.
According to the information on Plextor's site (
http://www.plextor.be/English/products/pxw161040A.html),
this drive supports DMA Mode 2.But I've tried it on three different machines
and
the BIOS reports it as PIO Mode 4 (and if I manually enable DMA the drive
fails at boot time).
I wrote to Plextor technical support and the answer was "...this drive is
PIO Mode 4".
The drive works well at all, but with cdparanoia (and other rippers) my CPU
load boosts at 100%...
Does anyone has the same problem with this drive? Or any solution?

thanx