[paranoia] cdparanoia 9.7 crash on redhat 6.1

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert at interlog.com
Thu Nov 29 20:38:42 PST 2001

Monty wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:00:14PM -0000, Ian Collinson wrote:
> >
> > cdparanoia 9.7 is crashing often (mid rip) on our boxes (RedHat 6.1).  Once
> > it has crashed, then running it again blocks forerver (strace shows it
> > blocks on open("/dev/sg0"...)).
>
> Cdparanoia crashed because of a kernel fault, possibly in SG, that has
> left the kernel with a gaping head wound.  As the fault left SG in an
> inconsistent state, it's unsurprising that SG would not be usable from
> that point on.
>
> OS bug. I'll let the good SG maintainers chase this further as they've
> already spoken up.

Monty,
Well thanks. Unfortunately your analysis is correct. In my
defence, I didn't add that particular bug into sg. The good
news, however, is that it has been fixed. Since Ian seems to
know how to compile a module (as he is using lk 2.4.7 on
RH 6.1) go to http://www.torque.net/sg and fetch sg3120.tgz .
This is the sg version found in lk 2.4.10 through to lk 2.4.16 .

FYI Monty, sg version 3.1.22 [currently submitted for lk 2.4.17]
adds the ability to memory map (via the mmap() system
call) sg's reserve buffer. It is faster than direct IO and
very frugal on CPU cycles. That's more cycles for paranoia's
crunching.

Ian,
Thanks for the ksymoops output. That is exactly what I
wanted/expected to see.

Doug Gilbert