[paranoia] cdparanoia 9.7 crash on redhat 6.1

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Nov 29 11:49:47 PST 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:00:14PM -0000, Ian Collinson wrote:

> cdparanoia 9.7 is crashing often (mid rip) on our boxes (RedHat 6.1).  Once
> it has crashed, then running it again blocks forerver (strace shows it
> blocks on open("/dev/sg0"...)).

Cdparanoia crashed because of a kernel fault, possibly in SG, that has
left the kernel with a gaping head wound.  As the fault left SG in an
inconsistent state, it's unsurprising that SG would not be usable from
that point on.

OS bug. I'll let the good SG maintainers chase this further as they've
already spoken up.

Monty