[paranoia] lite-on drive slow

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Mon Nov 5 17:39:50 PST 2001

On Tuesday 06 November 2001 14:23, Samuel Davidoff wrote:
> I have an internal Lite-on 40x cd-rom drive that came with my toshiba
> magnia. Im running redhat 7.1 with kernal 2.4.9.
>
> cdparanoia 9.8 works fine only it rips slow. between 2-3x. i had it
> initially using ide and swithched to scsi emulation thinking that was the
> problem. no dice -- it still rips at the slow speed. it speeds up a little
> (maybe to 5x) if i turn off the paranoia.
>
> other than that it works great. flawless rips, etc... i'm just wondering if
> i'm missing something. anybody else had experience with this drive? am i
> grossly overestimating the speed a 40x drive will give me? or being dumb?

That sounds like the right sort of speed with paranoia switched on. Audio
data doesn't really lend itself to being extracted in a hurry for reasons
that Monty explains on the website. I think my Asus 50x can pull audio off at
10x speeds reasonably accurately with paranoia switched off, but then it
claims to be good at that sort of thing on the box.

Mind you, it's been a while since I checked, so I could be wrong.

Anyone know of any particularly fast drives?

John