[paranoia] lite-on drive slow

Samuel Davidoff sam at davidoffdotcom.com
Mon Nov 5 17:23:51 PST 2001

I have an internal Lite-on 40x cd-rom drive that came with my toshiba magnia.
Im running redhat 7.1 with kernal 2.4.9.

cdparanoia 9.8 works fine only it rips slow. between 2-3x. i had it initially
using ide and swithched to scsi emulation thinking that was the problem. no
dice -- it still rips at the slow speed. it speeds up a little (maybe to 5x)
if i turn off the paranoia.

other than that it works great. flawless rips, etc... i'm just wondering if
i'm missing something. anybody else had experience with this drive? am i
grossly overestimating the speed a 40x drive will give me? or being dumb?

below is my output from cdparanoia -vQ

thanks,

am

cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                generic device: /dev/sg0
                ioctl device: /dev/scd0

Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
        SG interface version 3.1.19; OK.

CDROM model sensed sensed: LITEON CD-ROM LTN403L FX02

Checking for SCSI emulation...
        Drive is ATAPI (using SCSI host adaptor emulation)

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive is MMC style