[paranoia] CD too large to copy?

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Tue May 1 20:55:14 PDT 2001

>>>>> "Nathan" == Nathan Seven <ras-sol at usa.net> writes:

Nathan> The CD is limited to the 74.xx number simply by the spec-
Nathan> There is actually a little more room on the CD, hence the
Nathan> 79.xx number.

I'd be surprised if this topic isn't covered in various CD and CD-ROM
FAQs...

Some background on the 74-minute limit:
   http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq01.html#S1-5
   http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-29

And the details on 80-minute blanks:
   http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-8

You can investigate many more FAQs; consider starting at the CD-ROM
Meta-FAQ:

   http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~psyche/cdrom/

Nathan> As far as which burning packages will allow you to make such a
Nathan> disk?  The only one I know of is GEAR, by Elektroson- But I'm
Nathan> sure there are others...

*Shrug* cdrecord [1] will read the section of a CD-R that tells you
how many blocks are available, then ask for confirmation if you are
trying to write more than that many blocks.

As for where to find them, you can get 80-minute (a.k.a. "High
Capacity") CD-R blanks pretty much anywhere you could get normal
74-minute blanks.  They're pretty much equivalent in cost, too.  I
know our local Best Buy had 25 80-minute blanks, in slim cases, for
under 20 USD recently.

I've never had a failure with the 80-minute blanks.  Then again, the
only problems I've had with 74-minute blanks have been due to operator
error, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Happy Hacking,
t.