[paranoia] Re: Plextor Problems

Paul C. Bryan pbryan at creatia.com
Mon Mar 26 11:54:09 PST 2001

Nathan Johnson wrote:

> Did you ever get your problems extracting audio tracks with cdparanoia solved?

It turns out my drive (Plextor 12/10/32S) is one of those so-called
"perfect" drives. It seems to have a number of problems extracting at 32x,
namely SCSI timeouts, which I think eventually could be solved in an
upcoming firmware upgrade from Plextor.

At any speed <= 16x, the drive behaves in the so-called "perfect" manner,
appearing to perform its own error and jitter correction. Even with the
worst scratched and mululated discs, at <= 16x cdparanoia never visibly
performed any form of error or jitter correction, presumably because the
drive did all of the work.

I am now successfully extracting all audio from my discs at 16x.
Unfortunately, cdparanoia itself cannot control the speed of my SCSI drive,
so I have now reverted (perhaps temporarily) to cdda2wav, which does have
control over the extraction speed of SCSI devices.

Paul C. Bryan
pbryan at creatia.com