[paranoia] Plextor 12/10/32S SCSI CD-RW Drive

Paul C. Bryan pbryan at creatia.com
Sun Mar 18 23:04:32 PST 2001

Hi Monty,

I've been doing some research into a problem I am having with my drive
(Plextor 12/10/32S CD-RW SCSI drive) and cdparanoia. I am having
problems ripping the last track from certain CDs, which are in
near-perfect condition. One case is Eric Clapton's Unplugged, track 14.

With cdparanoia, I cannot rip this track without errors - ever. I get
SCSI timeouts and "e's" in paranoia's output. I tried it with cdda2wav
in its default settings, and approximately where the "e's" appear in
cdparanoia, it skips continually to the time-index end of the track,
where it ends.

When I reduce the speed to 2x on cdda2wav (-S 2), I get a perfect rip
everytime. In fact, I cannot get any errors to occur with cdda2wav at
this setting on other tracks, whereas cdparanoia had to correct some
errors at higher speeds on the same tracks.

I suspect that cdparanoia is running the rip at the highest speed, which
for a few tracks, pushes the drive past its ability. Unfortunately, the
-S (or --force-read-speed) option in cdparanoia seems to have no effect
on my drive.

I also suspect that my drive must be, by default, performing
jitter/error correction at lower speeds, or at least is just
super-duper-reliable at those speeds, because I can't detect any errors
at that rate in any of my testing of "cdda2wav -S 2" vs "cdparanoia".

I wonder if cdparanoia starts getting errors if it would be a good idea
for it to attempt to drop the drive speed, at least for a while until
errors stop occurring. With my drive, at least, this would seem to be a
working strategy.

Paul C. Bryan
pbryan at creatia.com