[paranoia] Cooked ioctl interface works with Linux ide-scsi, right?

Jani Jaakkola jjaakkol at cs.Helsinki.FI
Tue Mar 13 12:52:46 PST 2001

Since I thought that cooked ioctl interface should work in Linux
with /dev/scd* and Linux ide-scsi module, I changed the lines in
scan_devices.c:

  case SCSI_CDROM_MAJOR:
  case SCSI_GENERIC_MAJOR:
    /* Nope nope nope */
    idmessage(messagedest,messages,"\t\t%s is not a cooked ioctl
CDROM.",device)

to:

  case SCSI_CDROM_MAJOR:
    description=copystring("SCSI CDROM: CDDA capable under scsi emulation");
     break;
  case SCSI_GENERIC_MAJOR:
    /* Nope nope nope */
    idmessage(messagedest,messages,"\t\t%s is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.",device)

and it worked. So my question is, have I found a bug in cdparanoia or is
there some profound reason to not use cooked ioctl:ls with ide-scsi?

I am attempting to use cdparanoia in a classroom environment together with
cdwriter, so I need to use ide-scsi, but I don't want to make cdparanoia
setuid root (it should be OK with cdrecord) or to give users access to
/dev/sg* devices. Using cooked ioctls and giving console users acccess
to the /dev/scd0 device seems to be the ideal solution.

- Jani