[paranoia] Popping errors patch

Jason cdp at lunkwill.org
Thu Jun 28 15:46:57 PDT 2001

Several ATAPI CDROM drives I've tried produce popping noises in the .wav
files they create.  I'm not sure exactly why, and I haven't checked
whether
they're always in the exact same place coming from different drives.

Looking at the waveforms, though, it looks like they're usually single
data points (samples) which have apparently random values - there'll be
a nice quiet waveform and then a single sample that's many times
stronger right in the middle.  So I'm assuming they represent scratches
or somesuch thing.

Anyway, the anomalies I've been seeing are pretty obvious, and I think I
can use average deltas or magnitudes to detect them and replace them
with interpolated values.  So it won't be perfect, but at least it
shouldn't be noticeable.  I'll post patches here if anybody cares and I
can get it to work well.

Thanks to the developers, BTW.  (Oh, and vorbis rocks - I'm using it for
all my encoding...)

                                -J