[paranoia] CDParanoia doesn't work on my machine

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jul 23 11:57:57 PDT 2001

> Is it at all possible to rip from the older drive,
> maybe with some special command-set? I'm going to
> look for a new driver for that drive, but in
> the meantime, it would be nice to know what
> exactly it's missing. I can (and do) still use
> that old drive (I moved it to another bay) to
> play CDs while I use the new drive for ripping,
> but would love to rip both drives simultaneously!

Well, you didn't paste the output, so I'm missing some of the
information I'd need to make a guess...

The first question is, are you using the ATAPI cdrom kernel driver, or
IDE-SCSI?  If you're using ATAPI, cdparanoia has to trust the kernel
to make command decisions.  Obviously, the kernel has chosen poorly
(although the list of choices may all be fairly poor).  With IDE-SCSI,
cdparanoia has free reign probing/tickling the drive.  Consider trying
IDE-SCSI if you've not already.

Monty