[paranoia] CDParanoia doesn't work on my machine

t test beonjunk at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 13:14:42 PDT 2001

--- Monty <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:07:35AM -0700, t test
> wrote:
> >
> > Tim, Jonathan, thanks. I can now play
> > the .wav file directly, but it's still
> > garbage, confirming that cdparanoia isn't
> > doing what it normally should.
>
> what command line are you using?  Also please paste
> the full
> cdparanoia terminal output when ripping.
>
> Monty

Monty,

I just confirmed my suspicion ... my CD-drive was
an ancient Mitsumi from 1995 (4X, ATAPI). I just
installed a brand-new 52x drive that claims to
have support for digital audio recording, and I
can rip just fine from that drive! Much faster,
too, as I guess cdparanoia was trying to fix the
information it was getting from the old drive ... that
took about 1.5 hours per SONG!

Is it at all possible to rip from the older drive,
maybe with some special command-set? I'm going to
look for a new driver for that drive, but in
the meantime, it would be nice to know what
exactly it's missing. I can (and do) still use
that old drive (I moved it to another bay) to
play CDs while I use the new drive for ripping,
but would love to rip both drives simultaneously!

The output from the cdparanoia run was simply a
successful: Done! :) Even when it was happily
ripping nothing but static. The progress bar
did show + symbols, and also a :-P symbol, indicating
lossy streaming, but I don't know how to fix that. :)

Thanks for any help and/or pointers!

Much happier now,
Maya.