[paranoia] CDParanoia doesn't work on my machine

t test beonjunk at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 21:21:12 PDT 2001

I'm running Linux(RH 7.1) with an ATAPI CD-ROM (it's
an ancient CD-ROM, just 4X!). The cdparanoia
can recognise the CD in the drive and returns
a full list of the tracks when queried with
the -Q option, and it also insists the drive
can read CDDA (expected command set reads OK,
it says).

But when I convert the file to an MP3 file using
lame (I don't have a .wav player), all I get is
static. Other .wav files that I've downloaded from
the web play fine, it's just anything I create with
cdparanoia.

While ripping the tracks, I keep getting the
:-P symbol, which apparently means that there was
a loss of streaming ... I presume this is part of
the problem. I've tried both the -c and -C options,
but that produced the same result!

Can anyone help? Maybe point me at a .wav player
that will play the .wav files directly so I
can verify that cdparanoia is indeed the problem?
Or perhaps suggest something else to put me on the
right track?

Maya.