[paranoia] annoying rip problem, need help (long debug msg)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Feb 12 00:58:22 PST 2001

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 01:50:17AM -0500, Hyung-song Nam wrote:
> Hi all,
> I got fed up w/ crappy rips from my Plextor32TS on MacOS, and so I
> installed linuxppc and cdparanoia. It's working great for most CD's (great
> job Monty), but for some CD's, no matter what settings I use, the rip just
> halts and freezes my system before SCSI times out. Shown below is an
> output from one such rip session. The CD is 99% scratch-free, and is one
> of the cleaner CD's. It still results in the error. Can somebody
> help? Thanks!!

Plextors are unusual for cdrom drives in that their firmware will try
forever to get clean rips on a damaged or defective disk.  That's
likely the cause of the scsi timeout.

However, it's not normal for a Plextor to have so much trouble regularly.
Usually problem discs are pretty obvious.  I'd contact Plextor with
the possibility you have a damaged or faulty drive.

Monty