[paranoia] DATparanoia?? What do you think?

Ethan Alpert ethan at scd.ucar.edu
Fri Dec 21 10:24:37 PST 2001

Greetings, I'm new to the list. I've been ripping with cdparanoia for
about 6 months now and I really like it.

I am a taper (I do live field recordings of music) and I've been kicking
around a couple of ideas lately. I currently have two options for transferring
my DAT's to wav files. One option is to use S/PDIF into a sound card like
the SB Auidgy card or two to use S/PDIF into a CD-R standalone deck then
rip the CD. I usually do the second option as it allows me to insert tracks
during record.  The big problem for me is either of these options transfer
at 1X only!! I can't stand sitting around for 3 hours and then sitting
around for another hour while cdparanoia does it's thing. Additionally,
inconsistency in CD-R media and wear on my deck have the possibility of
introducing errors into my copies.

So I've been looking into reading DAT's with DDS-3 drives which potentially
can read up to 7X. The problem is these drives don't have audio firmware.
I have discovered though that linux 'dd' and 'mt' command can be used
to read DAT tapes as if they were data. Of course this introduces new problems.
One is that all the subcode information is read in as well as the audio data.
A 10-15 line C program can strip these. The second problem is the tough one.
When DAT's are read as data any digital errors *on the tape* are not corrected.
This is different that errors during reads. Interleaved correction is used
when reading the data but is not applied to the audio data so errors that
are corrected when doing digital playback are propagated.

Enter cdparanoia?

Does anyone think that the cdparanoia library might be used to implement a
DATparanoia?

I'd like to do some more research and would like to understand some of the
error correction techniques used in cdparanoia. Where do I start?
Any references?

Thanks,

        -ethan