[paranoia] paranoia_read_limited

Charles Coffing ccoffing at freeport.com
Sat Aug 4 07:57:55 PDT 2001

Try the "ldd" command on cdparanoia.  That will tell you what libraries it
uses, and where it will use them from.  For example:

[kiowa at localhost src]$ ldd /usr/bin/cdparanoia
        libcdda_interface.so.0 => /usr/lib/libcdda_interface.so.0
(0x40018000)
        libcdda_paranoia.so.0 => /usr/lib/libcdda_paranoia.so.0
(0x40029000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/i686/libm.so.6 (0x40041000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0x40065000)

Suppose you already had an old version of cdparanoia installed from, say,
an RPM included with your Linux distribution.  Maybe it put the libraries
in /usr/lib.  Then you compiled a new version from source, and installed
that into /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib.  If you were to run "ldd
/usr/local/bin/cdparanoia" and responded with a line like this:
        libcdda_interface.so.0 => /usr/lib/libcdda_interface.so.0(
0x40018000)
then you're mixing new and old versions.  That's bad.

Check that you don't have any old versions lying about (if you use rpm,
try "rpm -qa | grep -i paranoia" and then "rpm -e cdparanoia" or such to
remove it.)

Hope that helps.

-Charles