[paranoia] Problems recognizing a CD

rijn at swi.psy.uva.nl rijn at swi.psy.uva.nl
Mon Apr 23 15:59:57 PDT 2001

Hi,

I've been using paranoia for a about 2 years now on my old machine, but
I'm having some problems with ripping from the new CD-RW. This
Philips CD-drive is being accessed through IDE-SCSI emulation. The other
CD on that machine is still being accessed as ATAPI. If I want to rip an
audio CD in the CDRW, I get the following errors:

udo ./cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8.i386-linux-elf -vQ -d /dev/cdrecorder
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/cdrecorder for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrecorder for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrecorder for SCSI interface
                generic device: /dev/sg0
                ioctl device: /dev/scd0

Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
        SG interface version 3.1.17; OK.

CDROM model sensed sensed: PHILIPS PCRW804  2.0

Checking for SCSI emulation...
        Drive is ATAPI (using SCSI host adaptor emulation)

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive is MMC style

        TOC entry claims a negative start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims an overly large start offset: massaging.

[last message repeated for the number of tracks on the CD]

        DMA scatter/gather table entries: 256
        table entry size: 32768 bytes
        maximum theoretical transfer: 3566 sectors
        Setting default read size to 13 sectors (30576 bytes).

Verifying CDDA command set...
        Could not find any audio tracks on this disk.

Unable to open disc.

Is this due to other ATAPI CD? Or, how can I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
  Hedderik.