[paranoia] powerbook titanium cd...

David N. Welton davidw at apache.org
Wed Apr 18 23:28:02 PDT 2001

[ please CC replies to me ]

Hello, I've got a problem that I'm unable to sum up very clearly.  I
recently got a mac titanium powerbook, which is quite a nice computer,
however, I'm a bit confused as to how one goes about getting audio out
of audio cd's, with linux.  Apparently, the drive is not cd audio
capable:

@ashland [~] $ cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.12 2000/10/18
.
.
.
Can play audio:         0
.
.
.

*However*, macosX seems to be able to do it.  Any ideas how?!

Possibly relevant information:

Running Debian GNU/Linux with kernel 2.4.3, drive is recognized as:

hdc: MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8187, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

I also get some funky errors/warnings like this:

hdc: Enabling MultiWord DMA 2
Bogus interrupt -1 from PC = c00064d4
hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, (U)DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x54
ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
  Invalid command operation code -- (asc=0x20, ascq=0x00)
  The failed "Play Audio MSF" packet command was:
  "47 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "

Thanks for any tips/suggestions/explanations,

--
David N. Welton
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/