[paranoia] Lite-On LTN483S end-of-track problem

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Wed Oct 25 01:49:06 PDT 2000

Also note that some older 2.2.x linux kernels had a related bug.
They thought that the CD is 1 sector longer than it really was.
So if you tried to read the "last" sector then it failed, because
that sector didn't really exist.
It applied only to IDE/ATAPI drives AFAIK, but just in case upgrade
to 2.2.16 ( in don't know when exactly it was fixed , but 2.2.16
should be OK )

Leigh Orf wrote:

> Monty,
>
> Have you found a fix for the Lite-On end-of-track extraction problem
> yet? Just got a nice shiny new box and cdparanoia hangs at the end of
> track extractions. This problem apparently is known. Your earlier
> reponse (in June) to someone who reported this problem was:
>
> |   A number of recent drives have decided that the pregaps
> |   between tracks, which are marked in the subcode as digital
> |   silence, are not actually audio and refuse to read them,
> |   or just get hung up in general. I'm wondering if this is a
> |   particular strain of firmware that's getting OEMed around...
> |   :-)
>
> |   Some Lite-Ons are known to have this problem.
>
> |   I don't have a work around for the problem yet, but I plan to
> |   come up with one.
>
> Form the cdrecoring FAQ page:
>
> The Lite-On LTN483S 48x CD-ROM drive has a fairly unique bit of
> brain damage: it doesn't extract the last two seconds of a track
> correctly. This is only apparent on audio CDs with a "cold stop", where
> the music plays right up to the very end of the track. If the track has
> two seconds of silence at the end, there are no apparent problems.
>
> Leigh Orf
>
> http://orf.cx

> Paranoia homepage: http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

David Balazic