[paranoia] Lite-On LTN483S end-of-track problem

Leigh Orf orf at mailbag.com
Tue Oct 24 08:37:41 PDT 2000

Monty,

Have you found a fix for the Lite-On end-of-track extraction problem
yet? Just got a nice shiny new box and cdparanoia hangs at the end of
track extractions. This problem apparently is known. Your earlier
reponse (in June) to someone who reported this problem was:

|   A number of recent drives have decided that the pregaps
|   between tracks, which are marked in the subcode as digital
|   silence, are not actually audio and refuse to read them,
|   or just get hung up in general. I'm wondering if this is a
|   particular strain of firmware that's getting OEMed around...
|   :-)

|   Some Lite-Ons are known to have this problem.

|   I don't have a work around for the problem yet, but I plan to
|   come up with one.

Form the cdrecoring FAQ page:

The Lite-On LTN483S 48x CD-ROM drive has a fairly unique bit of
brain damage: it doesn't extract the last two seconds of a track
correctly. This is only apparent on audio CDs with a "cold stop", where
the music plays right up to the very end of the track. If the track has
two seconds of silence at the end, there are no apparent problems.

Leigh Orf

http://orf.cx