[paranoia] can cdparanoia (version III release 9.7) use larger read sizes?

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Tue Nov 21 19:01:47 PST 2000

Greetings.

Every time I run cdparanoia, I see these messages (invoked with -v):

| cdparanoia III release 9.7 (December 13, 1999)
| (C) 1999 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus
| [...]
| Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
|         New style SG with scatter/gather memory management
|         DMA scatter/gather table entries: 127
|         table entry size: 32768 bytes
|         maximum theoretical transfer: 1769 sectors
|         Setting default read size to 13 sectors (30576 bytes).

Looking at that last bit, should I be trying to use a larger read
size?  Is cdparanoia already using the larger read size, and I'm just
misreading this diagnostic?  Are there advantages to using a larger
read size?

If this is addressed in newer releases (if there are any) or on the
FAQ, my apologies (a pointer would be appreciated).

Note that cdparanoia does read data just fine (usually with nothing
but blanks, off the Plextor 40TW).  I'm just looking to optimize my
procedures, and maybe be a bit easier on the mechanism if it really is
bouncing back every 13 sectors to re-read the data.

Information about my machine here:

| $ uname -a
| Linux slinky.scrye.com 2.2.17-rfs #2 Sat Sep 9 22:53:37 MDT 2000 i586 unknown
|
| $ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
| Attached devices:
| Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
|   Vendor: IBM OEM  Model: DFHSS4W          Rev: 4B4B
|   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
| Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
|   Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TW   Rev: 1.00
|   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
| Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
|   Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW4260          Rev: 1.0q
|   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
|
| $ cat /proc/scsi/sym53c8xx/0
| General information:
|   Chip sym53c875, device id 0xf, revision id 0x3
|   IO port address 0xe800, IRQ number 10
|   Using memory mapped IO at virtual address 0xd9006000
|   Synchronous period factor 12, max commands per lun 32
|
| $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
| processor	: 0
| vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
| cpu family	: 5
| model		: 9
| model name	: AMD-K6(tm) 3D+ Processor
| stepping	: 1
| cpu MHz		: 447.006
| cache size	: 256 KB
| fdiv_bug	: no
| hlt_bug		: no
| sep_bug		: no
| f00f_bug	: no
| coma_bug	: no
| fpu		: yes
| fpu_exception	: yes
| cpuid level	: 1
| wp		: yes
| flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
| bogomips	: 891.29

More information is available upon request.

Thanks,
t.