[paranoia] audio burn: what did I do wrong?

Fredrik Mellstr?m traal at altavista.net
Sun Nov 19 02:54:01 PST 2000

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 12:25:07PM -0600, Christopher Jones wrote:
>  > You can use normal wav files instead.  This is much simpler:
>
> OK, but there's a FAQ at www.faden.com/cdrfaq that says I can't.
> They say it has to be cddr format for my stereo to play it.
> Moreover, after reading through the faq (they have a section
> relevant to my problem) I am thoroughly discouraged. I have an
> -old- cdplayer and the word seems to be that I have to go out
> and buy 10 different manufacturer's disks and try them all in
> the -hope- that one of them -might- play on my stereo. But I am
> making this disk for a friend, who also has an old stereo, so
> what are the chances that anything I get to work on mine will
> work on hers?

I saw your answer elsewhere about using CD-RW media, but I think I
might have something to add.  The important thing is that there's
no such thing as a special, enigmatic "cddr format" :-).  What's
on the CD is just plain, raw, uncompressed audio data -- only it
has to be 44kHz 16bit stereo (okay, there's some error correction
and stuff too, but we can ignore that for now).  If you have such
a wav file, that data is identical to what's on the CD.  A wav
file is just a package to put such raw data in, with some headers
to tell the user what's in the file.  Exactly what sox does when
you tell it to convert your wav file to "cddr" audio I don't know,
but it probably just strips the headers and possibly changes the
byte order if needed -- something you don't have to think about
with wav files anyway since that information is in the header.
cdrecord has been able to do that for you since ages ago.

You might have a problem with your old player in some cases,
though.  For instance, I've made a bunch of audio CDs, and I've
had trouble with DAO (disc-at-once) CD-Rs in my family's oldest CD
player.  The problem was that it couldn't find the start of any
tracks but the first -- it would just keep searching for minutes
before giving up.  In TAO mode (track-at-once) where the laser is
turned off between tracks, I've never had any problems at all,
though.

//traal

--
What's so unpleasant about being drunk? -- You ask a glass of water.